In the below video, in her own words, Whoopi Goldberg speaks out on her abortions in “The Choices We Made” – an excellent collection of essays written by different people who have been impacted by abortion (the forgotten ones) as well as the women who had to search and then obtain the abortion, usually alone. She was 14 and alone, with a coat hanger in a NYC park bathroom the first time. Thankfully, she didn’t kill herself. Not many women or girls were/are as lucky as she is.
In those days it was customary for women to go through abortion alone; hell, even now a days it seems to be. I was lucky; my husband was there for me. I’ve received too many *current* emails from women that
were on their own because the “man” bailed upon finding out she was pregnant, or, because financial burden wouldn’t allow for them both to take off work, leaving the woman had to endure the procedure alone.
Some may ask ‘why didn’t she just have her family or a friend come over?’ I can’t answer for every woman, but for some of the woman whom have been amazing enough to honor me with their story, the main reasons were either; they had moved to be with their partner, or, they were too ashamed (even though they shouldn’t be).
That shame we can thank society and anti-choicers for. It is a shame that is not only based on lies and unnecessary misconceptions, but also a shame that derives from stigma. A stigma which we need to shatter.
There is nothing wrong with having an abortion; I support abortion in all trimesters, as long as the woman wants it. And sure; there are women who will regret it, though statistically they represent only around 5% of American and English women whom have abortion; the other 95% report relief.
I report, relief; a relief that still, even a year and change later, suddenly will hit me -and hard- reminding me exactly why abortion was not only in the best interest for me, but also for the fetus.
Miss Goldberg went on to write a very interesting play, with one of the parts including a young girl, 13, who also self aborts. Click here for more information on her play, and watch the above video for a better understanding of her abortion and the play.
In closing, I read a message which read something like, “How has this baby hurt you? Was it attacking you?” First…IT’S NOT A BABY! i, even your own Bible teaches you that! Secondly, yes, in a sense, it was. And not just me.
In a recent video I mention the following story, I am going to type it up below. While I’ve made it loud and clear abortion is NOT evil and that there is no right or wrong reason for obtaining an abortion; I see absolutely NO way anyone could consider abortion “wrong” period, but especially in the following circumstance:
“The wife of one of my closest friends got pregnant,” says the Wichita native and author Robert Beattie, “and there were serious complications. They went to see Dr. Tiller and learned that their baby [fetus] wasn’t developing a head. They needed to abort the fetus, and as they walked into his clinic, protesters came up and screamed at them, calling them murderers and baby killers.” – Page 38 in A Death in Wichita by Stephen Singular
Fetus. Was. Not. Developing. A. Head.
Do Anti’s ever stop for one moment to consider the pain others go through? Given their actions, I’d say no.
There are some, of course, that are against abortion but are kind about it and do not verbally attack women. On the same note, they do not go out of their way to lie and beat their beliefs into others. If people are going to be Anti’s, they need to take lessons from these souls.